Sutliff Girl's Cookspot

This month...

JULY

Farmer's Market Inspiration

Appetizer: Megan
Side Dish: Lauren
Main Dish: Mom
Dessert: Amy

Saturday, June 5, 2010

A great banana bread recipe

To me, Mom's banana bread recipe is the purest form of the popular bread, and how I think all good banana bread should taste. With that said, my mini food processor is too small to make a batch of her bread in and with no room for any additional large appliances in my small kitchen, I am left searching for banana bread recipes that do not require a Cuisinart...

Well, I think I have found a good one! It is from The Newlywed Cookbook by Robin Miller, given to us for our wedding by a couple who has worked for the Marvil family for a long time. I especially like it because it does not use any oil or butter, just an egg. I made a few modifications the first time I made it and have included those changes in the recipe below. I told Lauren about the bread and she wanted the recipe, so thought this would be the perfect place to share it!

Super Moist Banana Bread

Ingredients

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup ground walnuts (optional)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 large, over-ripe bananas
1/4 cup milk (regular or nonfat)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, walnuts, and cinnamon. Mix well with a fork and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, blend bananas until mushy. Add milk, egg, and vanilla and mix until blended. Add dry ingredients to banana mixture and mix until just blended. Pour batter into an 8-inch loaf pan that has been coated with non-stick cooking spray. Bake 1 hour (check with toothpick). Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan and cool completely.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this! I can't wait to try it! I'm going to finally post a dessert from May soon! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete